Events



Armenian Martyrs Memorial About Committee Gallery Events WITNESS VIDEOS Links Donate Contact


ARMENIAN MARTYRS' MEMORIAL

A TRIBUTE TO THE 1,500,000 ARMENIANS MARTYRED BETWEEN 1915-1918


On April 24, 1977, the solemn dedication of the Armenian Martyrs' Memorial took place. Each year, on the first Sunday following April 24, the Committee, along with the three churches, conducts a service to perpetuate the memories of those who lost their lives in the Genocide of 1915.

The monument, designed by the nine members of the monument Committee, is of the early Byzantine era. The cross atop the cupola is typical of the Armenian cross and the oval cupola with six columns set on a square base is typical of the 17th century architecture. Set in this unusual formation of two pilasters that support the cupola is the intricately carved tableau consisting of six khatchkars (cross stones). In early times, khatchkars were small-sized memorial cruciform stones and predominantly of Armenian influence. A similar khatchkar tableau appears in the Martyrs' Monument in Etchmiadzin, Armenia.

Read More
© 2014 Armenian Martyrs Memorial.
All rights reserved.
Map
See where our visitors are from
Powered by AMV Creative
Maintained by Web Right Services